Night Terrors Articles to Read: 
You may find the following articles on this subject of some help.

024 - Some Children Experience Night Terrors

Tips for Stopping Night Terrors

Here is also a recent e-mail discussion between Dr. Sharma and a parent that you may find useful. Personal information has been deleted for privacy reasons.

Parent: I read your article and found many things very interesting. You said that they only last a minute or 2, but when my son has them they tend to last for at least 30-45 minutes. He usually wakes up at least twice a night sometimes 3 or 4 times as well. I asked his doctor about it and she told me there was nothing I could do, but make sure he doesn’t get hurt. She also told me the same as your article that they eventually go away, but I did not know about the medication. Do you recommend that I should try the medication on my son? I am very worried about my son because he did not start to go through this until visitation with his father started. Ever since then this has happened and everyone in my house gets very little rest. Please, let me know if there is any thing else I can do to help my son. Thank you very much.

Dr. Sharma: This is what I have heard. You may see if it works for you or not. First record the times of the night when he experiences these night terrors. Wake him up just a few minutes before the time of the night terror They say, the child break out of the pattern in about 2 weeks. If you try it, let me know the results.

Parent: I have indeed tried to wake my son up a few minutes before I thought he would have his fits and it did help. I have also stopped letting him watch any kind of TV an hour or so before he would go to bed at night. And in that time frame I will color with him or read him books or sing songs to him. He no longer wakes up in the middle of the night screaming so terribly. And everyone in the house gets a good night sleep…especially my son. Thank you for your advice.

Remember ... Self Help pages should NOT be used as a substitute for seeking professional care for the diagnosis of any psychiatric/psychological disorders. Nothing here is meant to replace professional advice or care from a qualified mental health practitioner. The purpose of self-help pages is purely educational.

Return to Self Help 

Copyright 2004, Mind Publications 

Click for Dr. Sharma's credentials
Dr. Vijai Sharma
Your Life Coach
By Telephone

Feedback- Let us know how we are doing

Terms and Conditions

Web site designed and maintained by Chanda Taylor